20 Black Detroit Creatives To Follow and $upport to Honor Juneteenth
“Juneteenth,” which takes place annually on June 19th, commemorates the same date in 1865 when in Galveston, Texas, enslaved Black people received the news that all US slaves were considered free. Although that date set forth a theoretical freedom and many of the celebratory Juneteenth traditions that Black people participate in today, many Black people in contemporary American society continue to fight against systemic racism, inequality, brutality, misogynoir, and other various forms of oppression.
A look through Black history however clearly paints a picture of the variety, strength, resilience, talent, connectivity, and beauty of the diaspora. In Detroit, a majority Black city with the largest Black population in the US, we are blessed with some of the most talented and innovative trendsetters in the nation, making the city a worldwide destination for immersion in Black arts, culture, and history.
Black creatives in Detroit deserve recognition, equity, exposure, funding, celebration, creative freedom, and payment for the many cultural contributions they add to the city and the world. Our entire community can benefit by propelling local Black creatives toward realizing economic and creative freedoms through their professional arts and community work.
This Juneteenth, I invite readers to honor and celebrate Black culture by buying, supporting, sharing, uplifting, and exploring the 20 people in this non-exhaustive list of locally raised/based creatives doing amazing things in Detroit. In addition, this list serves as a reminder to actively seek out gifted Black arts professionals when considering collaborations, bookings, donations, contracting, and personal journeys into the sizzling Detroit arts community and nightlife.
Below you will find 20 Black Creatives that each contribute in their own ways to make this community so special.
Celebrate Juneteenth in Detroit
Looking for Juneteeth events happening around the city this weekend? There are many ways to celebrate in the Detroit Metro area. Check out our list of happenings and events below!
- Tony Rave Presents Family Matters Detox Dinner
- Celebrate Juneteenth with Detroit Curated: Detroit Black Public Art Tour hosted by Tanya Stephens
- Juneteenth Jubilee Freedom Weekend at the Charles H. Wright Museum
- Juneteenth in the D at Dabls Mbad African Bead Museum
- Black Joy Abolitionist Picnic
- Tastemakers Juneteenth Jamboree featuring : A$AP Twelvyy, WTM Scoob, Chavis Chandler, Amber Chene, and Willie Mac Jr.
- Juneteenth Celebration of Freedom Art Expo
- Detroit Black Wallstreet Juneteenth Celebration
- John Salvage & New Twenty Saints Record Release (All proceeds to Ruth Ellis Center in honor of Juneteenth and Pride Month)
- D.Cipher Live Summer Music Series: Celebrate Juneteenth at The Dequindre Cut ft @wearedcipher @sophiyah.e
- Check out more ways to celebrate (via Detroit News)
The post 20 Black Detroit Creatives To Follow and $upport to Honor Juneteenth appeared first on PLAYGROUND DETROIT.