Join Hatch Art Gallery for an evening to support Hamtramck Disneyland! Hamtramck Disneyland is a “yard folk art installation located in Hamtramck, Michigan that was owned by a man named Dmytro Szylak, (until his recent passing). It was started in 1992 and came to be finished in 1999 and is built on a 30-foot backyard on top of two adjacent garages. Dmytro was born in Ukraine, until he immigrated over to the United States he worked for General Motors, but soon after his retirement he felt the need to find a hobby. So Dmytro began piling together different objects some old, some new, and some bought, while others were hand crafted. This towering structure stands tall above his house, and garage. Over the course of 12 years, Dmytro continued to add different pieces to his work which from how it started has grown to be a living collage.*”
All of proceeds will go towards the ongoing fundraising efforts to preserve and save the public art installation and attraction, and will be matched by a grant from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and the Michigan State Housing and Development Authority. In addition to supporting a great local treasure the evening will feature:
- Live music and performances
- Great eats from local favorites such as: Polish Village Cafe, Ali Baba Shish Kabob, Royal Kabob, Euro Mini Mart, Srodek’s Campau Quality Sausage Co., New Palace Bakery, Cafe 1923 Coffeehouse, Bonoful Indian Restaurant, Bon Bon Bon, Aladdin Sweets & Cafe and more!
- Open bar featuring beer, wine and themed mixed drinks
- Charity auction featuring art by art auction with amazing work by: Margo Butler, Juana Moore, Nina Caruso, Mara Magyarosi, Rebecca Draisey, Chris Schneider, Alice V. Schneider, Tina Logan, Matt Gordon (courtesy of Took Gallagher), Emily Wood, Toby Millman, The Hamtramck Music Festival, Brian Krawczyk, Blue Marketing & Communications, Jessica Rose Frelinghuysen, Roberta Socia and Breezy Cousins.
- Presentation on the history and future of Hamtramck Disneyland
- Current gallery exhibition by 2010 Kresge Arts in Detroit Fellowship awardee Timmy Lampinen
Admission: $50 (available at event or online here)
Date: Friday July 29th, 2016 from 6pm to 10pm
Location: 3456 Evaline in Hamtramck, MI 48212
Donate today at patronicity.com/project/save_hamtramck_disneyland.
In 2015 PLAYGROUND DETROIT was thrilled to present N’kisi Concorde, a documentary feature set in Detroit that investigates the lives and work of two local ‘outsider artists’ and visual storytellers, Olayami Dabls and Dmytro Szylak, (the founder of Hamtramck Disneyland) whose extraordinary installations reflect the power of the imagination unbound by artistic conventions or popular tastes. Ukrainian émigré Szylak’s installation combines hand-carved and assembled mechanical toys, aircraft, and human figures with found objects.
The post HATCH ART GALLERY WANTS YOU TO HELP SAVE HAMTRAMCK DISNEYLAND WITH CHARITY AUCTION EVENT appeared first on PLAYGROUND DETROIT.